Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Christmas in July...Day 29

I've spent the greater part of this month spotlighting upcoming books for the Christmas season. For the rest of the month I'll be looking back at some favorite Christmas books I've read or reviewed in past years. Enjoy!

One Imperfect Christmas by Myra Johnson:

Graphic designer Natalie Pearce faces the most difficult Christmas of her life. For almost a year, her mother has lain in a nursing home, the victim of a massive stroke, and Natalie blames herself for not being there when it happened. Worse, she's allowed the monstrous load of guilt to drive a wedge between her and everyone she loves-most of all her husband Daniel. Her marriage is on the verge of dissolving, her prayer life is suffering, and she's one Christmas away from hitting rock bottom.

Junior-high basketball coach Daniel Pearce is at his wit's end. Nothing he's done has been able to break through the wall Natalie has erected between them. And their daughter Lissa's adolescent rebellion isn't helping matters. As Daniel's hope reaches its lowest ebb, he wonders if this Christmas will spell the end of his marriage and the loss of everything he holds dear.


Published by Abingdon Press in 2009

Find out more on the web:
Myra Johnson
Abingdon Press


My thoughts:

One Imperfect Christmas is what I'd call a double layered love story, because it tells the love story of not only of Natalie and Daniel, but of Natalie's parents Bram and Belinda as well. The mischief woven throughout the story was also a delightful addition. I did find myself getting melancholy at times during the book when the story focused on Belinda dealing with her stroke and I credit that in part to the author giving a realistic portrayal of Belinda's suffering and also to the fact that my mother is a stroke victim (she has made pretty much a full recovery in the last seven years - just a small amount of residual effects linger, thank God), and my grandmother passed away earlier this year not long after experiencing a stroke. I could also see my dad in Bram, as he seemed to experience being "lost" during the days just after my mother's stroke, the same way Bram did with Belinda. And while I did experience the sadness while reading the book, I think it made the ending a bit sweeter. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I think it'd be a perfect addition to your holiday reading this year.

2 comments:

Myra Johnson said...

Jenny, I'm truly touched by your sweet review of my book--it just came up on a Google alert! It means so much that you found the portrayal of Bram & Belinda true to life. Thank you!!!

Jenny said...

You're very welcome...this is one of my favorite Christmas themed books, hands down!

Thanks for stopping by my blog as well. Blessings!