Saturday, August 15, 2009

Faith 'n Fiction Saturdays: Children's Books



It's time once again for Faith 'n Fiction Saturday with My Friend Amy, and if you'd like to participate, feel free to check out her blog post with this weeks question.

Every once in awhile, I wander into the children's section of the Christian bookstore. And then I wander right back out. I'm not saying there aren't many good books for kids in the Christian section, there just aren't many. But the truth is, I'm not sure we even need Christian children's books, apart from maybe a few at the holidays. (Christmas and Easter)

Are there are any Christian published children's books you love? Do you think we need Christian children's books? Are there any topics or subject matters you'd like to see explored in children's books from a Christian perspective?


My answer:

To preface my remarks, let me mention that I have two daughters - one who just turned three and one who is eight. My eight year old starting reading shortly before she turned three. I have struggled somewhat in trying to keep her challenged in her reading without having to expose her to topics or themes that are not age appropriate.

I would have to say that yes, we need Christian children's book, and more of them. I try to have my eight year old read as much of it as she can, and try to stay away from a lot of the mainstream fiction for children, due to topics or themes that I don't really want her exposed to (witchcraft, fairies, magic, etc.). I feel that with Christian fiction/childrens books I don't have to be so vigilant in this. A lot of mainstream fiction I will pre-read to determine whether or not to pass along to her.

Another thought I had was this - I exclusively read Christian fiction myself, because that is what my personal convictions are - stories without 'adult themes or language', that present a message based on a Biblical and/or morally upstanding premise. Wouldn't I want my children exposed to things that are in agreement with those same convictions?

So here's a list of a few of our favorite Christian books: Rachel Yoder series by Wanda Brunstetter, Lily series by Nancy Rue, and many Dandi Daley Mackall books. For my three year old - she loves VeggieTales books, Hermie and Friends, and pretty much anything with colorful pictures.

3 comments:

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I agree. Here is mine

Chad said...

I agree that more Christian children's books would be beneficial for all ages. I also feel the same about books 'that present a message based on ... a morally upstanding premise'.

However, I think we (as Christians) also need to be careful about equating Christianity and morality.

Christ demonstrated how to live a moral life, but morality and values do not make one a Christian. In addition, being a Christian does not necessarily make one more "morally upstanding" than anyone else.

So, off my soapbox and back to Amy's original question, I believe more content for children that helps them relate to Christ and His work in their daily lives would be beneficial. Being a Christian is not a semi-annual event as her post seems to suggest.

Martha A. said...

I think that it is sad there are not as many Christian books for young people! Some of my favorites growing up were ones from the Amish and Mennonite publishers and still are favorites. I love collecting the old Moody press books like Danny Orlis and Sugar Creek Gang.