Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Fine Art of Insincerity by Angela Hunt

About The Fine Art of Insincerity:

Three grown Southern sisters have nine marriages between them-and more loom on the horizon-when Ginger, the eldest, wonders if she's the only one who hasn't inherited what their family calls "the Grandma Gene": the tendency to like the casualness of courtship better than the intimacy of marriage. Could it be that her two sisters are fated to serially marry, just like their seven-times wed grandmother, Mrs. Lillian Irene Harper Winslow Goldstein Carey James Bobrinski Gordon George? It takes a "girls only" weekend, closing up Grandma's treasured beach house for the last time, for the sisters to really unpack their family baggage, examine their relationship DNA, and discover the true legacy their much-marrying grandmother left behind...

My thoughts:

The Lawrence sisters all find different ways to deal with life...but are they dealing with life in an honest manner? Each seems to have a sense of insecurity that they try to gloss over, hiding her true self from others (as well as herself.) I enjoyed getting to know Ginger, Penny, and Rose as individuals...and seeing things from each individual perspective went a long way in giving authenticy to the strengths and vulnerabilities that each possessed...I cared about what happened to them and saw myself in them. The nostalgic tone of the book is also quite touching as their own memories resurface and they find out who their grandmother truly was by what she left behind.

Coming from a family of three girls, this book intrigued me from the start. It caused me to reflect on my own life and the status of my relationship with my own sisters. Talk about eye-opening!

After reading this book I've done some introspection and realize that knowing my sisters on a superficial level is as bad as not knowing them at all. I really like this statement on page 298 where Ginger says, "...though I haven't loved you the way I should in the past, I'd like a chance to love you better." Can we be honest with the ones we love? We must, because our chance may be gone before we know it.


My thanks to Glass Roads PR for providing a copy for review.

Find out more on the web:
Angela Hunt
Howard Books
Glass Road PR

No comments: